Thursday, May 31, 2007

1st Term School Holidays

I actually had this in draft mode for a while and I forgot to post it, silly me. Well, better late than never.

It was a busy past couple of weeks for us because it was the first term school holidays for our little girl. Now that both of us are working we had to manage our time well and made sure that we still spent time with the kids and have them enjoy the school holidays as well.

One thing we did try to do was have our own girls and boys day out. My wife took our girl out for a day in the city and I did the same with the boy. With our boy at daycare, the wife took our daughter to her favourite juice bar and they went bag shopping. They also visited a bead shop and made their own jewelry. We had lunch together and they went to the Adelaide Museum and made some rock paintings and boomerangs. They visited the Art Gallery and came back for me at the office and we all went home together.

And when it was my turn with the boy, we went sort of the same route. I was having the car serviced that day so the boy and I dropped it off and we took a bus to the city. Our first stop was the Art Gallery where was a exhibit of Egyptian artifacts from the Louvre that was on display so I thought it would be a good idea to visit it with the boy. Unfortunately, we didn't stay too long because the boy got bored. I guess he wasn't too interested in looking at dust old mummies. He did have fun looking at some pieces of modern art like a big green rhinoceros stuck to the wall, and some video installations.

We also visited the museum and Library for a little bit and met my wife for lunch in one of the city's food courts After lunch we visited a music store because we wanted our kids to learn piano. The girl already shows interest in playing and they've already worn out the little toy piano that they had at home. We were looking around for a good keyboard for them to use and we also asked the shop people about how to go about getting a piano teacher for them. The little boy was more interested in pounding the keys. As we left the store, he thought that we were already getting a piano keyboard and was about to get upset that we were leaving the store empty handed. We had to convince him that weren't buying that day and that he had to learn to play the piano from a teacher.

Anyway, after that, I took the little boy fresh food shopping and ice cream at the Central Market. We made our way back to pick up the car and the little girl from vacation care. We were quite happy to be back at home after that busy day...

No comments: