Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Day and Happy Feet

First day of the new year sees our family off to the movies! As is usual for us we didn't really stay up to ring in the new year and after the initial Family Fireworks shown on TV, the kids were already eager to go to bed. In fact, even halfway through the fireworks display, they were already asking when it would end! At any rate, they were in bed and snoring way before midnight and I have to admit that I felt as sleepy as they were. This is a far cry from our own New Year's celebrations when I was growing up but it's something that I've become used too.

When we woke up to the new year our girl was doubly excited because she knows she's celebrating a birthday tomorrow. After getting them ready to go out and a quick call with my parents in the US, we were out the door and into the cinema. We watched Happy Feet , a movie that my kids and I have been waiting for for a long time ever since we saw the trailer come out a long time ago.

Come to think of it, we've been to the cinema quite a lot of times these past few weeks. We took in Charlotte's Web, we saw Flushed Away with friends ( for free as the tickets were won by my kids at a birthday party! ) and now Happy Feet. I have to say that I enjoyed this movie most of all, despite the fact I had to get up in the middle of it to bring the young man to the toilets. The animation was flawless, the voice acting and songs were excellent. I'm even thinking about purchasing the album from iTunes as I write this.

Although the wife and I were thoroughly enjoying the movie, the kids did become bored halfway through and were up off their seats ( again! ) and wandering the aisles. We thought they would have sat through on this one as they watched Flushed Away throughout and were glued to their seats then. Must have been because they did not have friends to watch it with or maybe because we ran out of popcorn. Might have to watch it again when it comes out on DVD. The little boy was funny though as he did sort of give running commentary from his seat often interjecting with "Oh, he's sad!" and "He misses his friends", when he saw Mumble ( the penguin ) in his lonely scenes.

After the movie we had a late lunch at a nearby restaurant. I took my usual order of calzone, the wife had the fish and chips, little girl had nuggets and the boy had pasta. I have to say that the boy ordered well as his pasta was yummy! ( Of course, we had a taste to make sure it was not too hot ;) hehehe )

After lunch, we went for a little walk but because it's a holiday, most of the shops were closed anyway. There was a bookstore open and we decided to drop in and browse for a little bit. We didn't stay long as not five minutes later we had to go out again as the kids were looking for a toilet! We didn't stay long after that and we were on our way home.

Tomorrow the kids and mom will be making a birthday cake for the little girl. We already had a deal with her that we won't have a party with friends because we were already going to celebrate her birthday when we go on holiday soon. I hope she still remembers the deal tomorrow... :)

No comments: